Some commercial countertop materials may be harmful to the environment, so if you’re planning to upgrade your kitchen, you may want to choose a sustainable alternative.
Go Green With These Sustainable Countertops
Below, we’ve outlined a few sustainable countertops that are environmentally friendly and don’t compromise performance or style. These include:
- Recycled Glass and Resin Countertops: These surfaces are typically made from cement, recycled glass, and nontoxic pigments. Intriguingly, the recycled glass plays a key role in mimicking the appearance of terrazzo. These countertops are beautiful while also being eco-friendly.
- Altrock Solid Surface: This solid surface is comprised of recycled marble chips, pigmented resin, and sealed with a matte finish wax oil. Its beautiful slabs offer a variety of color choices and can be cut to any shape or size. With 87% of its materials being recycled, this is an excellent sustainable alternative.
- Durat Surfaces: One of the most durable sustainable materials for countertops, durat is resistant to wear, water, and heat. This surface is made up of approximately 30% recycled plastic that has been granulated to give it a speckled appearance.
- Recycled Quartz Surfaces: These surfaces are made up of various materials such as mirror, glass, porcelain, and quartz. They are heated to over 1,000 degrees Celsius and then compressed under 25 thousand tons. The final product does not require sealants and is extremely durable. Additionally, these countertops evoke the real look of a typical quartz countertop.
- Recycled Aluminum Surfaces: These surfaces are excellent alternatives to stainless steel countertops but are made up of almost 100% recyclable materials. They are stain–resistant and provide a sleek, modern feel in your kitchen.
An Eco-Friendly Dream Kitchen Awaits!
Now that you are better informed on the various types of sustainable countertops, you can easily decide on what will work best for your kitchen. Of course, if you have any questions about how to design your new kitchen, be sure to contact Special Additions! Our experienced team of design consultants are here to help, and we’ll gladly work with you to create the eco-friendly kitchen of your dreams.